Al Jisr Foundation signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Oman Medical Specialty Board (OMSB) to grant 3 Cardiovascular Fellowships this year that will qualify the doctors to practice at a consultant level.


Statistics indicate a growing number of patients admitted to the hospitals for more healthcare. There is an increasing demand for healthcare in non-communicable diseases and cardiovascular diseases in specific. The numbers increased from 15,625 patients (2010) to 18,379 patients (2016). The Ministry of Health indicated that between the years 2013 – 2016, the most common hospital deaths occur due to diseases of circulatory system.

Moreover, the Sultanate is facing a shortage in the numbers of Omani Specialists and Consultants. Omani Specialists and Consultants represent only 30% of the total number of doctors in Oman. On the other hand, General Practitioners make 70% of the total number.


The project is expected to enhance the healthcare system by following international standards and improve the research found on cardiovascular diseases within the Sultanate. “Save Hearts” project with the Foundation’s support towards empowering the community is seen as a contribution towards realizing the National 2040 Oman Vision. The main objectives are to:

  • Decrease the number of patients sent abroad for cardiovascular disease
  • Increase the number of cardiology Omani specialists in different regions in Oman
  • Involve the specialists doctors in healthcare and community projects
  • Obtain Research to help enhance the health care system in Oman following international standards